By 1910 there was several businesses in the village, a Wheel-wright, Post Office, Cooperative Store, Swiller, Black Beck Gunpowder Mills, Butcher, Grocer, Coal Merchant and Timber Merchant. Vast quantities of peat used for fuel were dug on the mosses, and transported up to Fall Style Farm , onto the turnpike for distribution around the district. Bouth had its own Malt Kiln supplying local Inns to enable them to brew their own ale on the premises, it also had a thriving Oak bark peeling industry supplying several local Tanneries, many woodland products were manufactured and sold from Bouth, Besom Brooms, Oak Spel Baskets (Swills), Larch poles and ships fenders made from Hazel twigs.
Until the new road ( now the A590) was opened across the mosses south of the village in 1829, Bouth had been a boom town, but subsequently it became a sleepy backwater and remained so for thirty years until in 1860 prosperity returned when Messers Dixon and Company opened the Black Beck Gunpowder Mills close by, which eventually employed over 70 staff. During its lifetime the mills experienced ten explosions resulting in 33 men being killed, however a much larger number of men suffered serious injuries. The Gunpowder Mills ceased production in 1928 after an explosion killed two men and destroyed critical equipment and Bouth village became a sleepy backwater once again.