The Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway is part of a former branch line of the Furness Railway which was opened on 1 June 1869. The branch was primarily served by trains which ran from Ulverston to or from Lakeside. Lakeside station is situated on the southern edge of Lake Windermere, from where steamers sailed up to Bowness or Ambleside.There was significant freight traffic on the line in its earlier years. Iron Ore was carried to Backbarrow for the iron works; coal for the steamers on Windermere and sulphur to the gunpowder works at Low Wood. In the first half of the 20th Century many excursion trains from Liverpool, Manchester or further afield, would travel along this branch carrying tourists to connect with the frequent steamer sailings. Stations existed on the branch at Greenodd, Haverthwaite, Newby Bridge ( a halt) and Lakeside itself.