Greenwood Trail 4: Oxen Park to Bethecar Moor
This Greenwood Trail offers 3 walks (short, medium, long) full of variety, following old paths and tracks through farmland, old and new woodland and onto the amazing, wild, Bethecar Moor. The whole area provides a sensitive habitat for much notable flora (e.g. juniper) and fauna (e.g. butterflies, birds, and red deer). Stick to the route, stay quiet and you should be rewarded with many delights.
Bethecar Moor is open fell rising to 1100ft. (300 Metres) Its isolation and quietness is one of its great attractions but be wary in poor visibility; keep an eye open for the marker posts and, if you have one, carry a compass. You should be confident about reading the map. The paths are rough and wet (appropriate footwear recommended) with several stone step stiles and some stream (beck) crossings to negotiate. Walking poles or a sturdy hazel stick would be useful for these sections.Check the weather forecast before starting and when you have finished check yourself and your dog for ticks.
Start point options:
- 1. Oxen Park Reading Room (Green Hut) (Sat Nav LA12 8HG) or
- 2. Abbot Park Farm (Sat Nav LA12 8 HW) Grid Ref: SD314881.
Length and duration of the walks:
- SHORT ROUTE from Abbot Park (fields woodland and some open fell) - 6.km, 4 miles, 2- 2½ hours
- MEDIUM ROUTE from Abbot Park (includes exposed open fell) - 9.5km, 6 miles, 2 ½ - 3½ hours
- LONG ROUTE from Abbot Park (over the exposed open fell & down through Grizedale forest) - 11.5 km, 7 miles, 4-5 hours
From Oxen Park add 1.5km/1 mile (20 minutes) total distance.
Toilets and refreshments are available at the Manor House, Oxen Park (5pm – 11pm) and at Abbot Park Farm. The tea room at the farm is open by arrangement. The farm also has a camp site and camping barns.