The Big Christmas Bash is a fun day doing conservation activities. It's for everyone and a chance to get your hands dirty while at the same time helping local community and wildlife. After the activities we will head to the Manor House Hotel at Oxen Park from 3pm to warm up with hot stew, mulled wine and mince pies.
What you need to know
* Meet at your chosen activity work site (see below) at 10am
* If possible please car share/lift as parking is limited, further parking details available upon booking
* Reasonable levels of fitness needed for the activities and some are more strenuous than others
* Activities are suitable for a range of ages and abilities. Children under 16 will need their own ticket.
* Well behaved dogs on leads welcome on the activities but not able to go into the pub
* Both meat and vegetarian options will be available at the pub
* Please bring snacks to keep you going and a hot flask. Mince pies and Christmas treats will be supplied !
Coppicing - Henry Wood, Ickenthwaite - 10 am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults and children age 6+)
Using hand tools Dougie needs help cutting down small hazel trees in Henry Wood. A reasonable level of fitness is required for this task.
Bridge Build - Oxen Park - 10 am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults age 16+)
Help local Ranger Wilky build a much needed simple wooden bridge on the bridleway between Oxen Park and Ickenthwaite. A reasonable level of fitness is required for this task.
Drystone Walling - Bowkerstead Farm, Satterthwaite - 10 am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults age 16+)
Working alongside professional dry stone waller Sam Robinson, you will be fixing a hole in a field boundary and will be able to learn or improve skills. Experience is helpful but not essential. A good level of fitness is required for this activity. Please wear steel toe cap boots or very sturdy footwear.
Path Improvements - Rusland Reading Rooms, Rusland - 10am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults and children age 6+)
Help Ray improve the path behind the Rusland Reading Rooms by creating better drainage lets and laying new stone on the path. A reasonable level of fitness is required for this task.
Path Clearance - Ickenthwaite - 10 am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults and children age 6+)
Help Clare improve the permissive path through Ash Slack Wood by cutting back foliage, branches and brambles using hand tools. A reasonable level of fitness is required for this task and it is suitable for all abilities. It is a steep walk from the roadside to the path.
The Manor House Hotel, Oxen Park from 3 pm – 5 pm
If you are unable to do any of the activities and would rather just pop in for a drink and a natter please join us at the Manor House Hotel from 3pm. No ticket needed.