The Big Christmas Bash is a fun day doing conservation activities. It's for everyone and a chance to get your hands dirty while at the same time helping local community and wildlife. After the activities we will head to The White Hart in Bouth from 3pm to warm up with hot stew and mulled wine.
What you need to know
* Meet at the work site at 10am – car park details in ticket description
* If possible please car share/lift as parking is limited
* Reasonable levels of fitness needed for the activities and some are more strenuous than others
* Activities are suitable for a range of ages and abilities. Children under 16 will need their own ticket.
* Please bring sturdy footwear, warn and water proof clothing and gloves and clean clothes for the pub
* Well behaved dogs on leads welcome on the activities but not able to go into the pub
* Both meat and vegetarian options will be available at the pub
* Please bring snacks to keep you going and a hot flask. Mince pies and Christmas treats will be supplied !
Coppicing - Henry Wood, Ickenthwaite - 10 am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults and children age 6+)
Using hand tools Natilee needs help cutting down small hazel trees in Henry Wood. Coppicing will help the trees stay healthy and support the many species of plants and creatures in the woodland. A reasonable level of fitness is required for this task.
Drystone Walling - Oxen Park Reading Rooms - 10 am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults age 16+)
Working alongside professional dry stone waller Mike Thwaites, you will be fixing a wall gap on a footpath between Oxen Park and new House. You will be able to learn or imporve skills. Experience is helpful but not essential. A reasonable level of fitness is required for this activity. Please wear steel toe cap boots or very sturdy footwear.
Tree Planting - Crosslands Farm, Rusland - 10 am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults and children age 5+)
Help plant native trees as part of the final step of a woodland restoration project on Crosslands Farm. A reasonable level of fitness is required for this activity.
Boardwalk building - Fish House Bridge, Whinny Hills, Bouth - 10 am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults age 16+)
Help build a wooden board walk near Fish House Bridge on the latest Greenwood Trail. A good level of fitness is required for this task.
Path Improvements - Oxen Park Reading Rooms - 10am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults age 16+)
Help improve the steps on the Greenwood Trail from Oxen Park to Abbot Park. A reasonable level of fitness is required for this task.
Bird Boxes and Woodland Walk - Glass Knott Wood, Ickenthwaite - 10 am - 2.30 pm (suitable for adults and children age 5+)
Help make bird boxes and put them straight out inthe woods to help provide habitat and increase the bird populationin the Ickenthwaite area. If there is time we will also clear the path that goes up to Bethecar Moor!
The White Hart, Bouth from 3 pm – 5 pm
If you are unable to do any of the activities and would rather just pop in for a drink and a natter please join us at The White Hart Hotel from 3pm. There will be food, drinks, a quiz and thank you's.